Search This Blog

Thursday, June 28, 2018

The Exit Ramp

Since last posting, I have endured another 3 weeks of Gem-Zar, complete with wicked side effects. Also had a PT/CT scan and saw the oncologist yesterday. The scan report did not reveal any improvement; however, the oncologist thought that on viewing of the CT scan, she felt that the liver showed some decrease in activity. It is the oncologist's opinion that the chemo I have been undergoing has perhaps (?) had some effect on the advancement of the pain from the spinal tumors.

I told the doc that I did not want to continue with the Gem-Zar due to the extremely severe side effects. I needed to make a decision between going off of chemo altogether or trying another  IV chemo option. I agreed to try a different one (Abraxane); but I am certain that, if I experience negative side effects, I will stop the chemo altogether and we will go into palliative care / hospice mode.

So the bottom line is that the cancer is advancing and my days here are numbered.

I finally pinned down my oncologist to give me a time-table. This is always a difficult question for patients to ask and for oncologists to answer. "How much time do I have left, doc?" I told my oncologist that I was well aware that I was "on the exit ramp." Could she possibly give me a ball park guestimation of when I might reach the stop sign at the end of that ramp?

Her response was, "Not years; not weeks; months."

Deep down in my gut I sort of knew that this was the case. I have been preparing; getting my ducks in a row. Friends and family have stepped up to help me prepare. Many have come to say their last good-byes. Shelves are being organized (thanks to my wonderful daughter), closets cleaned out, items being given away.

I have derived pleasure (some would call this perverse; but alas, it is the case) in planning the music for my funeral. As a church musician, I have sung and played for probably hundreds of funerals. It does not seem strange for me to be organizing my own parting ceremony; in this way, I will very much be a participant in saying good-bye to everyone.

I don't know if I will be making any more post entries to this blog. This latest news is as difficult to write as I'm sure it is for many of you to read. Thank you for accompanying me on this Road Less Traveled journey. I am grateful for all of the love and support my dear friends and family have spread before me.

My daughter has access to this blog as an administrator and will keep you all posted when I make my way to the end of the exit ramp.

Enjoy each day as a precious gift, everyone. Live with gratitude.

6 comments:

  1. You are dearly loved, Betsy. I cherish my memories of working with you. Until we meet again, 'round the heavenly campfire, sweet lady. Cynthia Alexander

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Betsy,

    This is Elizabeth Holabaugh, Dick Holabaugh’s daughter. I have been keeping my Dad in the loop about your progress.
    He speaks highly of you and your family. I hear lots of stories from back in the day.
    I’ll be sure to inform my dad of your last post, please know you’ve been in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you Betsy. You sang at my mother's funeral in 2008 as she had requested, thank you. I have enjoyed our friendship that began at SLCDS. You have a beautiful voice that will live on in my heart and my memories. My best to your daughter and son. Thank you for sharing your journey, Roxanne Mitchell (roxmitch22@yahoo.com )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betsy, I remember walking across campus with you, from some dumb, unremembered class in Rawles Hall to 617. It was always winter, bright and cold, and you kept saying "Brr, brr, brr!" Our futures were as bright as that sun…

    I'm so sorry you've been in pain. I can only imagine that having your exit plan in mind might be something of a small comfort. Know that you are and will be remembered by all the friends you've made in life.

    With affection, I wish you peace.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betsy just learning of your illness and with a heavy heart albeit full of love i thank you for sharing your gifts with our family - know that you instilled an abiding love of music in Amy and Nora- Ellen and David Sands

    ReplyDelete