Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Plan C -- Opting to Take a Break from IV Chemo

In my previous posts, I outlined Plan A (Ketogenic Diet) and Plan B (dropping the oral study drug, thinking that it was causing my bowel problems).

I have now been on the Ketogenic Diet and off of the study drug for 3 months. I am amazed at the change in my overall health due to the diet: I have lost 17 pounds, sleep is amazing, acid reflux is GONE, and energy is high. The idea is to go into ketosis, a state where the healthy cells in my body can utilize ketones and fats for fuel; but cancer cells cannot survive, as they need glucose to replicate and remain active. I have no idea whether the diet is working for that; time will tell.

I went off of the oral study drug because I was experiencing very severe bowel issues (the Big D, if you get my drift). At first, I thought that all was well in that department; however, the bowel issues still exist. This means that it is probably the IV chemotherapy (Taxol) that is contributing to this problem. This being the case, I discussed with my oncologist the possibility of taking a break from chemo altogether for a period of perhaps 3-4 months to see if my bowel problems might clear up. She agreed to this plan (which I am calling Plan C). So after this round of chemo (the 23rd month of this!!!! that's almost two years!!), I will stop treatment for a while to give my body a rest from the onslaught of poison that comes with chemotherapy.

The "psychology" of all of this intrigues me. For several weeks, I have been asking my oncologist the question: "So..... exactly how long will I be on this IV chemo treatment?" Her reply was always something like: "Well, you have been pretty stable on this; there have been no new occurrences of the disease"..... or "Well, this seems to be working for you." Not once has she even come close to suggesting that I could try going off of the treatment "just to see how my body does." In the world of oncology, they just keep you on whatever you're on; forever, if that's what it takes. If she even suggested that I could opt to stop the treatment, she might be subjecting herself to medical liability issues should I take that suggestion and then run the risk of my cancer getting worse.

So the decision was mine. Period. She gave me no guidance; she made no judgment whatsoever. I guess I should be grateful for this. I am flying solo. Who knows where I will land? Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment